Monday, September 10, 2012

Bicycle Theft - Punishment Does Not Meet the Crime


I found this article and this video very eye-opening. The video show how easy it can be for a bicycle thief to steal a bike, even with several witnesses. People simply don't stop. I'm assuming people don't want to get involved with criminals, and there may be some who assume that the person cutting the lock is the owner who simply forgot his key. 

Even when thieves do get caught, the penalty is minimal. Scary stuff.

I've only had one bicycle stolen, and that was 35 years ago. 

Have you ever had one stolen? 

2 comments:

  1. I have had two bicycles stolen in my life: The first time was out of my own garage. I'd gone inside to grab a glass of water, came back out, and the bike was gone (obviously, someone was watching closely because it was literally one minute from inside to back out); the second one was completely my fault because I had gone to meet up with friends and forgot my lock. Since the two of them had only one lock between them, and we couldn't get all three locked together, I put mine in between theirs, thinking no one would notice it wasn't locked. Alas, it didn't work and when I came outside about 30 minutes later, the bike was gone. It was recovered very beat up about a week later though.

    It never ceases to amaze me that people are so apt to not say anything when the observe a wrong. It's rather disappointing, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, sadly. some kid probably rode off on it when i went in for some water as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...